Confessions of an armchair critic and general know-it-all

I have an opinion on just about everything and a wide variety of interests and experiences that give me insight into many professions. As a relatively quiet and shy person, I find myself imparting my knowledge more online, where I can talk and talk and not be worried that people are rolling their eyes or checking their watch while I drone on.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Gruesome Disney movies

The first movie I remember seeing as a kid was a horror movie--Bambi.  I remember it being at a drive-in movie because I was playing on the swings until the show started.  Bambi might not seem like a horror movie to an adult but as a kid it was pretty frightening.  Very shortly into the movie, Bambi's mom gets shot and killed! 

I came to find out this was a trend in Disney movies.  Children are separated from their parents, often by a parent's death or being kidnapped, and face life-threatening elements.  In Peter Pan, Princess Tiger Lilly is tied to a rock and left to drown.  The Lost Boys are captured by Indians and threatened to be burned at the stake.  Captain Hook had his hand chopped off and fed to a crocodile, but of course it was just a harmless prank by Peter, right? In Lady and the Tramp, there's a rat trying to attack (and presumably eat) a baby.  In 101 Dalmations, puppies are being gathered by a crazy woman to be skinned and made into fur coats.  And it just goes on and on.

Sheesh, and people wonder why society has become so violent.  Could it be because we were raised on horrific bedtime stories like these?

No comments:

Post a Comment